Urban Trees: Issues & Solutions
When: Friday November 4th, 2016
Where: Heintzman House 135 Bay Thorn Dr, Thornhill, ON. L3T 3V1
- 8:30 AM Registration
- 9:00 AM Welcome – Workshop Overview- Peter Wynnyczuk Executive Director OUFC, Valerie Burke, Councillor, Ward 1, Thornhill, City of Markham
- 9:15 Urban Forest Issues Across Canada- Peter Wynnyczuk, Canadian Urban Forest Network, CUFN, Ontario Region Representative
- 10:00 Break
- 10:20 AM Trees and Bees—The Vital Role of Trees in Providing Habitat for Urban Pollinators Susan Chan, M.Sc. PHD Candidate (Manager, Native Pollinator Program, Farms at Work), Professor Sustainable Agriculture Trent University and Fleming College.
- 11:00 Tree Walk –Conservation Valley Land & Streetscape Review
- 11:45 Lunch Provided
- 12:30 GIO, Green Infrastructure Ontario, Urban Forest Strategies- Michelle Bourdeau, Green Infrastructure Ontario Coalition Coordinator (GIO) Project Coordinator, Research and Climate Programs at Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA)
- 1:15 Parallel Breakout Session- Panel – Sandy Smith Professor, Forest Health, Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto & Jack Radecki past OUFC Executive Director, Registered Consulting Arborist, David Hunt City of Markham Tree Preservation Technician & Provincial Offences Officer Themes -policies/tree bylaws applicability and tree planting issues and solutions.
- 1:15 Parallel Breakout Session -City Tree Issues Open discussion facilitated by Anne Howatt and Madelyn Webb
- 2:15 Networking Session – Participants Challenges/Solutions
- 3:00 Canadian Urban Forest Network, CUFN, Canadian Urban Forest Strategy, 2018 to 2023 Consultation, Next Steps, Peter Wynnyczuk/ TBA
- 3:15 Closing OUFC, HUB Community Project, Web mapping
- 3:30 OUFC Annual General Meeting
Transportation: Yonge Street or Bayview Avenue, Parking is free at rear of Heintzman House,
Please Carpool or use Transit.